Information on the different types of carpet to consider for your lifestyle.
Types of Carpet
Carpet flooring remains a popular choice because of its affordability and because of the wide variety of available color and style options. If you are considering installing or replacing carpeting in your home or office, it is important to understand the differences between different types of carpet flooring so you can select the option that will best meet your needs.Cut Pile Carpet
The major types of cut pile carpet, where the fiber ends are cut evenly, include:
- Frieze: Great for busy areas, because the fibers curl in different directions, hiding footprints.
- Saxony: Dense carpet with closely-packed yarns. Saxony carpet is often referred to as "plush".
- Textured: Soft and resists soil; popular for family rooms or other informal settings.
- Shag: Longer-cut yarns mean this type of carpet will mat easily.
- Cable: Thicker yarns create a loose, informal look in any room.
Instead of being cut, loop pile carpets are looped and the yarn is fastened to the backing. Loop pile carpets are popular choices for high-traffic areas. Major types of loop pile carpet flooring include:
- Level Loop: Loops are of the same height, so the carpet surface is smooth, easy to maintain and durable, but it can seem stiffer than other types of carpeting.
- Multi-Loop: With multi-loop or Berber carpeting, the loops vary in height. Loops are dense and because of materials used, may be more stain-resistant than other types of carpeting.
- Loop pile carpeting is not a good choice for homes with pets, because pets' claws can become caught and snag the fibers easily.
Combination Pile Carpeting
Part cut-pile and part loop-pile, combination pile carpeting is just what it sounds like, creating a unique look in any room. This type of carpeting is usually soft and may be patterned. Combination pile carpet may also feature different color fibers to help disguise wear and tear.
Whatever your look, whatever your style, there is sure to be a type, color or pattern of carpeting that will help you get the look you want for your new flooring. For more information, visit us in Honolulu, HI today or give us a call at 888-746-1657 to speak with a member of our professional and courteous staff.